Thursday 9 February 2012

I just quit. And it pays to quit!

This is my story. Real life story.

I started smoking way back when I was 11 years old. My first attempt at smoking, I used dried coconut husk, rolled it in a small piece of newspaper. It was a bitter experience. The first time that I inhaled the smoke, I could feel the smoke filled up my lung at no time. I started to cough until my eyes became watery. Did I stop? No! I took my second puff. Learning from that first attempt, I inhaled slowly. That was much better. Wow! I was in heaven.

Then I graduated to cigar. My late grandmother used to smoke cigar. What brand I can't recall, most probably cap ikan. I thought cigar was the same like a cigarette. It was even worse than my first time smoking the man-made cigarette.

When I was in a boarding school, I was caught smoking in Form 2. I was walking up the stairs at Block C when a form 4 prefect stopped me and said "I can smell smoke all over you." I was at his mercy. Luckily he offered me a plea bargain. "I'll let you of the hook tonight. But the next time I catch you smoking, then I'll bring you to to see HM." What a relief. Did I stop? Heck No.

I continued my smoking and was caught in form 3. I was made to stand on the stage during assembly and took my whipping in the office of the SA. Did I stop? Nope.

Then came the day when I decided to quit smoking. It was at night, I just came back from getting my second pack of Dunhill 14 for that day. It was January 18, 1987. I didn't know what came over me. I threw the cigarette pack that I just bought, together with the lighter and ash tray. Then I went to sleep. The next morning was terrible. I suffered for close to two weeks before I finally get to use to smoke-free lung. During those two weeks, I easily lost my temper. I hit my next room neighbour for he poke fun at me. Fortunately he understood when I said I have not smoked for a few days.

Days became weeks. Weeks became months. Months became years. It was not smooth sailing. I can tell you that. It was not that easy to stay away from cigarettes. The urge was always there. It came at any time of the day. The frequency was consistent. It was even worse when I started working. But I managed to weather the temptations.

Then I was transferred to Alor Setar in February 1990. Those in that office never knew that I used to be a smoker. Finally, I succumbed to the pressure. 1st january 1991, I started smoking again. The first puff after almost 4 years, was terrible. My office mates were surprised when they saw me smoking. Some challenged my decision and reasons for taking up the habit again. No one could make me changed my mind. I continued smoking and increased the intake. When I quit in 87, I smoked two packs of Dunhill 14. Now, two and a half packs of Dunhill 20.

I quit for the second time, a week after my sister's wedding in November 1995. Alhamdulillah, my lung is smoke free until now. I can say for sure now, after 16 years and second attempt, that I will never never never again be a smoker. One thing that I can testify was that, it was not easy to quit smoking and stay away from cigarettes. It was not easy. I didn't have any rules or method or follow any scientific proven mechanisms to quit smoking.

I just quit.

6 comments:

  1. :) i think i remembered saying to you "be a blogger" ... alhamdulillah nice blog....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quit at the age of 15 when dad warned me "kalau aku tau kau merokok, kau berhenti sekolah"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what?

      never knew that you were a smoker. all the while i've been telling my friends that my youngest brother was the only non-smoker among my male siblings.

      do i have to make a statutory declaration?

      kah45x

      Delete
    2. mwahahaha. kantoiii busu :p

      pak ndak, nice blog lah! :)

      Delete